My black & white darkroom at my studio is finally getting the attention it needs. When I moved into my studio in 2014 the space had a 12′ x 10′ office room built in, but it needed work to turn it into a photo darkroom. The room was poorly made so it is a bit funky to work with. When I got the studio I was busy working on art for my Racine Art Museum fellowship exhibition and I didn’t really have the time or money to fix the space up the right way.
The first couple years I hauled water back & forth from a bathroom down the hall since there was no water in my space. It was a pain to deal with but I made it work. (I could probably give a workshop on how to have a black & white darkroom if you don’t have running water.) Years passed and I finally paid the price to get water run to a basic utility sink in my darkroom. What a luxury! Next on my agenda was to find a used darkroom sink. It took almost another full year before I found a sink in good shape, at a good price, and near me.
This week I got the new used sink, set it up and hooked up the drain. The sink came with a full filtration system, but that will have to wait a little before I get that hooked up. For now I have a hose running from the utility sink so that I can mix chemistry and wash out the big sink.
Being the funky poorly built room that it is, it has light leaks. I’ve tried to cover most of them, but there are still some leaks. I finally decided to paint the room flat black to stop any light leaks from bouncing around off the white walls. Hopefully!
With previous studios I’ve had I always had the landlord build a darkroom sized to my specs, but with this one I just worked with what I had.
There is still quite a bit to do to get the darkroom to where I want it, but it is closer!